Online library systems

Anna Schwind anna at merlin.deltast.edu
Mon Jul 14 10:59:30 EDT 1997

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Ken Feser wrote:

> Dynix runs on a relational database called UniVerse which a company called
> Vmark sells.  I never heard of Universe or Vmark before I started working
> at a Dynix library.

Geac ADVANCE runs on UniVerse as well.  So I can answer a few of your
universe questions although I am far from an expert in the field.
I didn't know that Dynix ran on UniVerse...i wonder how many other
library automation systems do so?

> I have heard that part of the function of UniVerse is
> to port old Dynix code from the Pick mainframe operating system over to
> Unix, but I don't know if that is accurate.

UniVerse is written in Pick BASIC (*shudder*).  It runs on unix boxes and
NT boxes.  So I guess if the old dynix code is in Pick Basic what you
have been told about porting probably makes sense.

> For one thing I am
> irritated that we have to pay a goodly sum for UniVerse licences (on top of
> paying for operating system and Dynix licences).  I have also been burned
> by UniVerse incompatibilities with recent AIX upgrades.

I'm still running on AIX 3.2.5 and holding off the upgrade because I've
heard of similar incompatibilities, esp. in the  area of terminfo and
term emulations.  I'd be interested in hearing what incompatibilities you
ran across in detail.

> Am I being reasonable in my dislike for UniVerse and my subsequent
> coolness for Dynix?

There are things about UniVerse that make me a little queasy...such as
the aforementioned basic programming.  I think if one is going to run
something on a unix box one should write it in C, but maybe that's just
me.  Also, transaction logging seems to be weak, but I don't know if that
is a Universe problem or GEAC's implementation thereof.  And I don't have
a lot of faith in the Universe print spooler.  It works some complete
voodoo and bypasses my unix print queue.  Again, it makes me a little queasy.
However, to be absolutely honest, UniVerse has never given me any
trouble.  It runs smoothly and without hassle.  It recovers well from
crashes (or has for me), seems not to be a processor hog and returns
user transactions in a timely manner.

>  Some other library systems such as Endeavor/Voyager run on database
> products such as Oracle which are much more common and which are highly
> touted in the computer industry.

My campus DP department is using Banner on top of Oracle and they like
it alot.  I think your question is a "right tool for the job" question.  In
my situation (a wee college library), Oracle would be overkill.  I don't
think Oracle licensing is inexpensive and I know the machine reqs are
pretty high (the aix box in the dp department has 1.25 gig of RAM -
drool, drool). They haven't upgraded their box above 3.2.5 yet either,
so I don't know whether there are incompatibilities there.

Hope this helps,
Anna
--
Anna Schwind				"Destiny has her hand on my back
(anna at merlin.deltast.edu)		and she's PUSHING!"  The Tick