Online library systems

Ken Feser feser at cma-oh.org
Mon Jul 14 09:56:25 EDT 1997

Greetings to all.  I have a question about the databases that some library
systems are written on.

Dynix runs on a relational database called UniVerse which a company called
Vmark sells.  I never heard of Universe or Vmark before I started working
at a Dynix library.  I have heard that part of the function of UniVerse is
to port old Dynix code from the Pick mainframe operating system over to
Unix, but I don't know if that is accurate.

Does anyone have any comments on the strengths and weaknesses of the
software underpinning Dynix and other library systems?  For one thing I am
irritated that we have to pay a goodly sum for UniVerse licences (on top of
paying for operating system and Dynix licences).  I have also been burned
by UniVerse incompatibilities with recent AIX upgrades.  Am I being
reasonable in my dislike for UniVerse and my subsequent coolness for Dynix?
 Some other library systems such as Endeavor/Voyager run on database
products such as Oracle which are much more common and which are highly
touted in the computer industry.  Does that sound better (or worse) than
UniVerse?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.  Email the list or me directly.

Ken Feser
Systems Librarian
Cleveland Museum of Art