'Cyberlibrarian' or 'Tech Guru'???

Mark Gooch mgooch at sledge.law.csuohio.edu
Fri Jul 11 08:52:44 EDT 1997

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Stephanie Stokes wrote:

> MY QUESTIONS ARE?
> Who is doing the web surfing at your library? Are most
> of you wearing both hats as 'tech' and the 'cyberscout'?

The librarians are doing the surfing here.

> Or is the librarian of whatever department giving you
> a list they have surfed/seached/developed on their own and
> you do the coding, etc?

We have an automation dept. which handles the technical side but I and
other librarians are doing the markup and maintenance of the Library's
pages (http://www.law.csuohio.edu/lawlibrary/).

> Or are the librarian/dept buiding their own page or
> online departments, bring them to you to 'put this on the
> server'?

If others do markup work they give the pages for me to put up on the
server.  I see this more as a practical thing rather than a task shoved
on to me.  I believe the fewer people accessing the public server the better.

> Is WEB4LIB apart of your 'creative process' as you 'build'
> the information highway as well as a technical guide?

I like to follow Web4Lib to get new ideas.  For example, I added the
Library's physical address to the Home Page after a posting to this list.

> You wish people would leave more postings on...what?

I have especially enjoyed topics such as the recent discussion on the use
of frames.  We are currently in the process of implementing a WebPac for
our catalog and the "designer" has chosen to utilize frames.  I'm still
very hesitant about such an implementation but seem to be alone in this
thinking.

Mark

-----
Mark D. Gooch 			    Cleveland State University
Government Information Librarian    1801 Euclid Ave.
Bartunek Law Library 		    Cleveland, Ohio  44115
(216)687-5579  Voice	  	    (216)687-5098  Fax
		mgooch at sledge.law.csuohio.edu
	  http://www.law.csuohio.edu/lawlibrary/