fortres software

Bobb Menk bmenk at hampton.lib.nh.us
Thu Jul 10 11:28:14 EDT 1997

The initial post asked about this problem for both Win95 and Win3.1
machines.  Subsequent posts have argued the pros and cons for Win95,
but I haven't seen anything further regarding Win3.1.  Since that's
my current setting, I'd like to hear from anyone with good or bad
experiences just shutting 'em off under 3.1.  Thanks.

Bobb Menk

> On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Jim Jones wrote:
>
> > We don't run fortres (yet?), but I do take a bit of an issue with
> > your statement that "nothing horrible" happens.  Take it from
> > someone who has had problems with users just shutting off Windows
> > 95 machines.  On several occasions they have corrupted their
> > network drivers and have required a couple of hours fixing other
> > problems that cropped up.  Take Microsoft's advice.   ALWAYS
> > SHUTDOWN THE COMPUTER PROPERLY!
>
> On certain computers, such as the Dells that we have in our library,
> if you push the power button, Fortres (or maybe Win95?) will
> automatically go into a safe Shutdown mode, and nothing bad will
> occur.  No need to enter any passwords at all.
>
> -Andrew Farler
>  Miami Univ. Libraries

Bobb Menk, Internet Librarian, Lane Memorial Library
Hampton, NH 03842  603-926-3368
bmenk at hampton.lib.nh.us