Transfer interrupt

Dean C. Rowan wpl at quick.net
Sun Jul 6 02:40:03 EDT 1997

Following an "upgrade" to Netscape 3.01 several weeks ago, things
just haven't been the same.  The machine--a 486 66MHz with a piddling
8Mb RAM and Windows 3.1--is extremely s-l-o-w loading even the most
dimunitive of sites.  More specifically, though, is the problem it's having
with a relatively simple site comprising 7K of HTML and two gifs, one a
banner of about 8K, the other a thumbnail logo of about 2K.

Usually, the banner will not display.  If I right-mouse-click to view
the banner alone, then return to the site, the banner will appear.
The logo's another story:  it loads from an external site courtesy of
an absolute path (which is, I know, a good URL).  Netscape will not
surmount that logo.  Instead, at the approximate position of the
logo, I get the "Transfer interrupted!" message following a HR.  No
amount of reloading does the trick.

With other sites, for example, heavily graphically laden monsters,
the graphics often do not load at all.  In all cases, though, the
sometimes not.  Likewise, the simple site interrupts at different
positions.

I've tinkered with all sorts of configurations of cache, with no
observable results.  Is this just a matter of running too demanding
an application on an old machine?

Dean C. Rowan
Whittier Public Library