Filtering

Hal hkirk at uno.cc.geneseo.edu
Thu Jul 3 15:47:41 EDT 1997

Karen,

I believe that Yahooligans (http://www.yahooligans.com) and Magellan's
Green Light sites (http://www.mckinley.com/)
may be an example of what you are talking about.

Take a look at them.

HTH

-hal

>I was wondering if the technology and resources existed for a
>link-compiler like Yahoo! aimed at children/youth.  I am thinking of a
>resource which has librarians looking at the sites, giving their judgment
>of the content, and being able to not include those sites with
>inappropriate material (i.e. material which is illegal to provide to
>children).  If such a search engine could be used to only search those
>sites (like Yahoo! does), and if a browser could be modified to not allow
>one to open a location (like Netscape's 'Open'), such a software could be
>made available to those children whose parents want to restrict their (the
>children's) access.  I am thinking primarily of such a system on a machine
>in the children's section or in school libraries.

...stuff deleted.....

Hal Kirkwood
Information Technology Librarian
S.U.N.Y. at Geneseo
Geneseo, NY 14454
716/245-5524
Fax: 716/245-5003
hkirk at uno.cc.geneseo.edu
http://137.238.9.12/~hal/hal.html

"I find that sometimes it's easy to be myself"
"and sometimes I find that it's better to be somebody else"
                -Dave Matthews Band