Nasa

David L. King dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu
Wed Jul 2 17:26:16 EDT 1997

> > >Would it be nice if one who will remain nameless checked these things out
> > >first before getting hysterical?
> > Uhm... you missed the point.
> > Some people aren't going to know the difference between com and gov.
> > I just typed in "nasa" without "www" or "com" or "gov" and guess
> > where netscape took me? To the commercial site, not the gov site.
> > That's the problem...

>    I am fairly new to the list, but I have been following this thread.
> What is the problem? I checked out Nasa.com and saw the ad. that has you
> upset.

First of all, it doesn't "have me upset."

> I don't see a problem with it, but this may be because I am not
> interested in what it is offering. If people don't know the dofference
> between .gov and .com maybe that is something that we as Librarians should
> be teaching them. Personally, I think rather than spending our time
> surfing the net looking for objectionable material, we should spend our
> time on thinking about how to better educate the public about this medium.

Second - You're right. It just bugs me that commercial comanies of any
type would purposefully "hide" or "mask" their real name and purpose
behind "NASA" or IRS (from posts of a month or two ago), in order to
simply gain more hits to their site.

			David King
			Electronic Services Librarian
			University of Southern Mississippi