Internet for the public (policy)

Pamela Belfor pbelfor at frii.com
Wed Jul 2 12:32:57 EDT 1997

While I realize this group discusses technical, as well as theoretical issues,
I hope that the following survey is also an appropriate posting.  It is being
cross-posted to PubLib. My reason for posting here, is that you are all so
knowledgeable.
Our library will soon be offering Internet access to the public.
We would like to learn how Internet access is being approached in your
library.
If you work in a public library, we would appreciate your completing this
survey.
Its purpose is not to be judgmental, just informative.  Please put an "X"
by the
appropriate answers.  Thank you for taking the time to respond. If there is
interest,
I will gladly summarize the answers.

1.   We are a public library serving a population of
    (a) less than 30,000
    (b) between 30,001 and 60,000
    (c) between 60,001 and 80,000
    (d) between 80,001 and 100,000
    (e) larger than 100,000

2. We have been offering Internet access to the public for
    (a) less than 1 year
    (b) more than 1 year but less than 3
    (c) 3 to 5 years
    (d) longer than 5 years

3. We offer access at terminals located [Please put an X by all that apply]
    (a) in the adult services area
    (b) in the youth services area
    (c) in a media or technology area

4. We offer
    (a) a graphical browser
    (b) text based only
    (c) both (a) and (b)

5. (a) We offer access to anyone visiting our library.
   (b) We offer access to library card holders only.

6. (a) We require one-time registration for the use of Internet for all users.
       If the answer is YES, what is included on your form?
   (b) We require registration ONLY of users under a set age with the
signature of a parent or guardian.
       If the answer is YES, what age is used ?
   (c) We do NOT require any registration.

7.   Before using
      (a) Users are required to sign-up at a designated service area.
      (b) We do NOT require any sign-up.  Users may use any available
computer.
      (c) Users are given a common password allowing access  good for a
specified period only.
      (d) Each user is assigned a unique individual password (or number)
that does not change
          and is required to launch our browser.

7. Training for public
      (a) Initial orientation to using the Net required before given access
      (b) No specific traning required
      (c) Voluntary classes offerred

9.  We allow the following uses
      (a) Newsgroups
      (b)  E-mail
      (c) Chat
      (d) MOOS and MUDS

Our decision is based on
      (a) Use of limited resources
      (b) What we feel is appropriate for our public library

10. Filtering software is used
      (a) On all Net access computers
      (b) Only on Net access computers in the youth services area
      (c) NOT at all
If the answer is (a) or (b), what type of filtering software do you use?