Netscape mail?

Bruce Heimburger brh at rcpl3.richland.lib.sc.us
Wed Jul 2 12:31:36 EDT 1997

In order to permanently keep patrons from e-mailing, changing
options/preferences, and other settings, a program like IKIOSK needs to be
running.  This program can block access to menu items.  Alternatively,
having public PCs running NT Workstation might also be effective in
preventing changes being made to setup and other files.

Unfortunately both programs eat up their own share of RAM.  I tend to favor
the NT WS solution.  It eliminates some setup / configuration / password
hassles that otherwise would be present.

Less than two years ago I was configuring public PCs with Fortres and
IKIOSK in an attempt to keep them secure.  This combination worked OK, but
it was a pain bypassing these programs when software had to be installed or
reconfigured.

Bruce Heimburger
Richland County Public Library, 1431 Assembly St., Columbia, SC 29201-3101
brh at rcpl3.richland.lib.sc.us     803-929-3406