Root Pulled: Thanks

David P Atkins notdpa at unix1.sncc.lsu.edu
Fri Jan 31 12:01:23 EST 1997

Thanks to all who responded to the list & my personal email concerning
"Open File"  security concerns in WWW browsers.

As simply hiding files didn't work, I can attest to the secure combination
of IKIOSK (disabling Open File) & Bill Moseley's suggestion & excellent
page on editing the .exe to eleminate the file url location option in
Netscape (e.g. you can't type the url file:///C|/stuff/).

Still leaves the problem that now folks can't use personal web pages from
the A:> drive....someday.

David

David P. Atkins
Electronic Reference Services Librarian
Middleton Library                    email:  notdpa at unix1.sncc.lsu.edu
Louisiana State University                     voice:   (504) 388-6823
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-3300                      fax:    (504) 388-6825