User distribution by browser

Earl Young eayoung at bna.com
Wed Jan 29 07:31:08 EST 1997

     There was a joke circulating about fifteen years ago that the reason
     God created the earth in only seven days was He didn't have to worry
     about an installed base.  The issue of how far back to anchor your
     software has been going on for a long time.

     The reach of the Internet exceeds anything those of us who hacked on
     the old ARPA/DARPAnet ever imagined.  Were browsers more expensive -
     and they are nearly free these days - a case could be made that more
     attention should be paid to users and systems that are still
     character-based.  But its hard to imagine that anyone doing serious
     work doesn't need everything that we can provide.  Consequently, I
     skew toward building toward a Netscape 3.0 world.  I normally leave
     the glitz out - the ShockWave and such - because I've not seen
     evidence that those items add value to reference content.  They do
     consume bandwidth, and bandwidth - more than browsers - is the choke
     point on the Internet.

     I choose to design toward Netscape instead of IE because (a) we have
     lots of Unix systems, and IE doesn't run on Unix, and (b) anyone
     competing with Microsoft is doing the user community a favor.  I am
     not an enemy of Microsoft - and I use some of their software.  But
     power corrupts, and all that, and they seem to do better work in the
     markets where they still have to scramble.

     One encouraging trend is the "high-width/low-width" capability on some
     of the site creation tools.  I build mostly intranet applications, and
     bandwidth is as important inside the firm as it is outside.  I prefer
     giving our users the option to (a) see the cute stuff, or (b) get to
     the data faster.  This has the effect of providing access to older
     browsers, but it doesn't require that I avoid trying new tricks just
     because someone or some institution hasn't caught on to the
     technology.  I don't believe we should reduce the functionality of the
     site to everyone just because some people don't find the information
     important enough to buy the tools necessary to secure access.  Thus I
     design for bandwidth because it make sense - and allow older browsers
     in as a side-effect - but otherwise the folks happy to live in the
     late-80's never cross my mind.

     Earl Young