SWISH vs. Webinator

John R. Little jrl at acpub.duke.edu
Tue Jan 28 10:57:51 EST 1997

I've looked at a couple search engines recently and just
about settled on Thunderstone's Webinator
<http://www.thunderstone.com/webinator/>.  It's a nice
product, easy to install (UNIX and NT only), free if you
index less than 10,000 pages, has an easily understandable
end-user query interface (with help pages
<http://www.thunderstone.com/webinator/help.html>
maintained by Thunderstone), has a lot of command line
options, and can be pointed at other web sites (helps me
b/c some of the Libraries web pages are on different
servers).  yatta, yatta, yatta. In short, I like it a lot.
But before I settle on this, I like to hear from some of
the SWISH users (particularly if they have used Webinator)
about the advantages of SWISH.

Both SWISH and Webinator are written in C so tweaking the
code could be problematic if you're not interested in
mucking around with the C code (which I am not).  Right
there, I see a clear advantage to using WebGlimpse since
much of the mucking can be done with the PERL code.

Anyway, any general comments on Webinator vs. SWISH would
be great.  Comments about the advantages for SWISH would
also be good. Thanks.

  John R. Little       Web Developer/Systems Librarian |
  Perkins Library * Duke University * Durham, NC       |
  VOICE: (919) 660-5932            Email: jrl at duke.edu |
              http://www.duke.edu/~jrl/                |