Little Copyright Notices

Russell Henning rhenning at fsc.follett.com
Mon Jan 27 09:43:01 EST 1997

Laura writes:

"...we alert patrons to information which may be of use to them
in deciding how much information to copy - that is, we post
little notices about copyright & fair use.  This allows the
patrons to decide.  This, I think, is a good solution: it allows
those who would take the responsibility make an informed
decision..."

This will not prevent "victims" from coming after your library
if they think they can benefit.  Ask the tobacco companies,
which have posted clear, obvious health warnings on cigarette
packages for 30-some years.

Fortunately, libraries will never be perceived as deep-pocketed
targets, so I think we're safe.  :)

Russ
rhenning at fsc.follett.com

"whose opinions are etc., etc."