Latest Copyright FlameFest

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Mon Jan 27 10:17:20 EST 1997

     Yes, copyright guidelines and fair use messages are posted over
     thousands of library copiers, but librarians do not hover around the
     copy machine to "police" these guidelines. For the most part, the
     library does its legal duty in posting the message and leaves its
     users on the "honor system". Of course, there is a much more
     cumbersome process when it comes to securing permissions for putting
     materials in reserves, thanks to the infamous Kinko's case, among
     others.

     You all shouldn't be surprised that there is dissent over current
     copyright laws. With the trend inching towards the extreme
     privitization of information, those of use who would like things to go
     in the opposite direction are going to speak up. I think we should all
     be disturbed by the recent international convention on copyright and
     "intellectual property". I'm disturbed that they want to revise the
     laws so that copyrights go back 75 years, or last that long, or
     something like that. This makes it harder for those of us who are
     trying to bring old texts onto the Internet. Why can't I take
     something from the 1940s, written by a dead author, and it make it
     available to the world?

     I didn't become a librarian in order to police anybody.

     Chuck Munson