Text-based Internet

Earl Young eayoung at bna.com
Thu Jan 23 09:39:11 EST 1997

     One way to deal with this issue is to use tools like NetObjects Fusion
     (which is not the same product as ColdFusion) to build sites.  Fusion
     literally lets you build both a graphics site and a text-only site
     with just a click or two (sorta) worth of effort.  A couple of the
     other tools at which we are looking - such as Backstage Designer by
     Macromedia and HIP by the SoftQuad folks - appear to offer similar
     capability.  Tools that can handle multiple versions of a site will
     allow you to customize for bandiwdth - and that is growing more
     important than customizing for browsers.  We are largely ignoring the
     limits of people using lower than Netscape 3 or IE 3 - but people can
     have those browsers and still have slow lines, so we accomodate their
     speed.  The toolsets make the process way easier.

     Earl Young