domain names

Hal hkirk at uno.cc.geneseo.edu
Wed Jan 22 10:54:02 EST 1997

Les,  (and others who may be interested),

To get a customized domain name you must register your IP address and
request the domain name you want (if available) through a company called
Internic. You then pay a startup fee and an annual fee to 'own' that name.
They're site is at http://rs.internic.net/

Also what is happening is that other companies are buying up large amounts
of personal names and obvious/popular domain names from Internic and then
selling them for a price.  Take a look at
http://www.yahoo.com/Business_and_Economy/Companies/Internet_Services/Domain
_Registration/

The only official one is Internic (at least at this point in time...this
may change soon.)  All the others are just capitalizing on the system.

Hope this helps.

-hal

>Hello,
>This came up in a conversation among library students and we couldn't
>agree on an answer:
>
>How does a library (or company or organization for that matter) get a
>"customized" domain name?  For example, www.pizzahut.com?
>
>Thank you for answers, which will cause a cease-fire.
>
>Best,
>Les Kowalski

Hal Kirkwood
Information Technology Librarian
S.U.N.Y. at Geneseo
Geneseo, NY 14454
716/245-5524
Fax: 716/245-5003
hkirk at uno.cc.geneseo.edu
http://137.238.9.12/~hal/hal.html

"I find that sometimes it's easy to be myself"
"and sometimes I find that it's better to be somebody else"
                -Dave Matthews Band