WebTV

Andrew Wohrley, Science & Technology Referen wohrlaj at lib.auburn.edu
Tue Jan 14 17:24:32 EST 1997

Well, let this be a lesson to me about posting without actually
trying the hardware!  Actually, I heard from a friend about WebTV and
William Safire described getting WebTV as a gift recently. (He was
underwhelmed reading his own columns on TV.)

I promise I will go to a department store soon and report what I
think about my experience.

But...

I think that a slew of newbies is exactly what the Internet needs.
Yes, they will be uninformed as to the ins and outs of netiquette,
but I think even AOLusers are getting so that they are learning.
I think we can all agree that information access is inherently good,
and more is better.

Yes, I'm sure that the first generation WebTV is a clunky kluge, but
name any consumer electronic device that wasn't it was first
introduced.

Finally, you don't have to convince me that 33K modems are too slow,
but I'm convinced that experience shows that technology catches up to
need and faster bandwidth at reasonable prices will come to the home.
Soon.

I believe it is inherently a good thing that information technology
becomes a commodity item and not a premium service.   I think that
WebTV is the first step towards the fusion of all consumer
telecommunications into one device.  I guess if we have any
disagreements here they are over matters of taste, not substance.
The good criticisms posted are ones that point out what a bad PC or
web browser WebTV is.  My point is that WebTV just might be a pretty
good WebTV.

Andrew Wohrley

Andrew Wohrley
Science & Technology Department