Workstation Monitoring Statistics

Temple Hoff temhof at mohave.lib.az.us
Tue Jan 14 11:08:32 EST 1997

Scott Stevens wrote:

> Wise Sages,
>
>         Forgive this slightly off topic question, but this seems the most
> appropriate newsgroup that I belong to to post this.  My library has a
> 2PC network, peer-to-peer, Win95.  We allow access to a CD-ROM tower as
> well as dial-in access to a system that offers text-based Net browsing.
> Our problem is we'd like to monitor the usage of the various programmes,
> CDs and Hyperterminal, since people seldom sign in as requested.
>         Ideally we'd like to know what software is used when and for how
> long.  While it would also be nice to know how many people are actually
> using the terminals, that may be impractical to try and do with what we
> have.  I skimmed through the archives, but could not find anything
> helpful.  I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the best
> direction to start looking.
> While not a "Sage", I have had similar tracking needs.  I have found that
"Direct Access" (Both DOS and Windows are availible) by Symantics fit the
job perfectly.  It allows time tracking of each application used, and has
great security features; users must login, users cannot exit to a DOS
prompt, etc.  It is essentially a secure menuing system with quite
extensive tracking ability.
Temple Hoff                  E-Mail:temhof at mohave.lib.az.us

Library Services Coordinator           Phone:(520) 692-5703
Mohave County Library District           Fax:(520) 692-5788