Printer Fees and Record Keeping

Hillel Weintraub hillelw at doshisha-intnl.tanabe.kyoto.jp
Sat Jan 11 04:02:45 EST 1997

I'd like to add to the question posted by Nancy McLees (see below). At my
school we are wondering about record keeping for the pages printed out by
each person.  A lot of students just print out web pages without seriously
considering the cost of doing this and we need to develop some system of
controls. Do any of you have some good way of working with this situation.

One possible solution would be to keep records of each printer's output in
a way that we could know which student ordered the printing job.  Students
could be told in the beginning of a term that their fees covered 50 bw
pages and 10 color  pages per term (for example) and they would be charged
for anything more than that. So we would need some kind of record keeping
software or printer server that would keep the number of pages on each
printer that each student output.

Perhaps those answering can respond to both Nancy and me or post to the
list in case others are interested.
		Hillel

letter from Nancy F. McLees:
>We are adding color laser printers to some of our Internet access terminals.
> They will have graphics capability and we expect heavy usage.  I have been
>asked to find out how other libraries set print charges and if they
>differentiate between color and plain black ink printers.  I am especially
>interested in hearing from public libraries, but any input would be welcome.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Nancy F. McLees
>East Shore Area Library

Hillel Weintraub, Director, Media Committee
Doshisha International Jr/Sr High School
Tatara, Tanabe, Kyoto 610-03, Japan
Phone: 81-774-65-8911; Fax: 81-774-65-8990
school homepage at http://www.doshisha-intnl.tanabe.kyoto.jp