Printer Fees

Will Hires whires at pop.service.ohio-state.edu
Sat Jan 11 00:59:05 EST 1997

Laser printing (plain black ink) capability was introduced in the libraries
at the Ohio State University this past Fall. Cost was set at 10 cents per
copy. Other printing options such as dot matrix was not offered. What we've
found so far is that people have tended to take advantage of other options
such as downloading to disk or emailing documents as attachments to
messages rather than participate in printing as much as we might have
anticipated they would. Of course, maybe enough time has not passed to
fully assess the impact, but it is clear that printing volumes are tending
to fall short of that which was predicted.

I'd be interested to know what charge you will impose for color printing
and if you will allow downloading to disk and/or other non-print options to
users. I suspect that, no matter what the cost, and I suspect it'll be
substantially more than 10 cents per copy, the actual volumes will fall
appreciably short of any projected amount.

Maybe an alternative is to add this type of service incrementally according
to the level of demand that actually transpires.

Will Hires
Librarian
The Ohio State University
hires.2 at osu.edu