Search engines article

Ian Winship, Univ Northumbria Info Services ian.winship at unn.ac.uk
Thu Jan 9 04:35:28 EST 1997

The latest issue of the UK edition of PC Magazine has an extensive article on
Internet search services.

        [Catching sites
         PC magazine February 1997, 108-153 (21 pages excluding ads)]

(There is no online version)

The assessment concentrates on search features, useability and online help
and doesn't seem to have examined information quality or performance in a
systematic way, other than commenting on the problem of redundant links.
There is a table of about 40 features for each, though some, such as title
only or proximity searching are shown for all 11 services, which is not what
I believed to be the case, unless there have been developments I have not
noticed.

Alta Vista is the Editor's choice, with Infoseek Ultra (now incorporated into
Ultraseek) as highly recommended.

Ian Winship
Information Services Dept.              |    e-mail: ian.winship at unn.ac.uk
University of Northumbria at Newcastle  |    phone:  0191 227 4132
City Campus Library                     |    fax:    0191 227 4563
Newcastle upon Tyne                     |
NE1 8ST                                 |
UK                                      |