suggested research topic

Millard Johnson zendog at incolsa.palni.edu
Fri Feb 28 15:17:48 EST 1997

Here is a suggestion for a research for some academic
librarian needing one more paper for tenure:
  The issue is - what (on the Internet) should be included
"in the library"; everything or a selected subset of URL's.
  The hypothesis - the average library patron seeking
practical information is better served by a controlled
subset of Internet URL's (OCLC's NetFirst) than by
unrestricted Internet access.
  Procedure - Interview a random sample of patrons entering
an Internet area of a library.  Ask those that have a
defined information need to participate in a study by
searching twice, on NetFirst and a general web search
engine.  Alternate which condition is searched first.
Ask Subjects to complete an evaluation of satisfaction.

This is important research because the web is removing
our excuses.  We are beginning to be able to focus on
what we want to include in the library rather than what
we can afford to include in the library.

Please forgive my ignorance if this has already been done.
Millard F. Johnson zendog at incolsa.palni.edu
"I would rather risk failure than achieve it without risk"