Web vs CB radio

STEVE HOOLEY hooleyss at gsaix2.cc.GaSoU.EDU
Tue Feb 25 13:43:18 EST 1997

                I believe we are still under the awful shadow of that crud
movie 'War Games' where some teenager guesses a magic password and starts a
nuke war by playing PacMan. Half the people I meet still think you can crash
the stock market by hitting the delete key on a standalone 8088. As Linda
observed, the misconceptions about instant access to sensitive info and
total networking are perpetuated. My suspicion is that computers are the
20th century version of magic! How many bad shows have you seen where some
scientist wanted to take over the world with a giant turnip created by
computers? It's arcane and complicated and the results can be spectacular -
even Pulitzer-winner Jeff MacNelly's "SHOE" comic calls in a wizard to fix
the computers by mumbo-jumbo. Teaching students that it follows exact rules
and is only a bunch on on/off switches at bottom seems sometimes to
disappoint them: I think they want to hear that it burns dilithium crystals
and can delete small countries if misused. And the password is HOKUS_POKUS.
                        Excuse me, I've got to go water my giant turnip......

                        (Entries in the Country Music Contest)
                        "No One's Hit My Web Page in Three Weeks"
                        "My Pickup and My Modem Both Broke Down"
                        "You Broke My Heart, So I Busted Your Printer"
>Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:19:42 -0800
>Sender: web4lib at library.berkeley.edu
>From: Linda Absher <absher at lclark.edu>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
>Subject: Re: Web vs CB radio
>

>On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Earl Young wrote:
>
>>      It's not likely to be another CB radio fad.  First of all, Kris
>>      Kristoferson (sp?) hasn't made bad movies about the Internet.  I
>
>He hasn't, but judging from "Hackers, "The Net", and various other
>movies/tv shows whereby a character needs a byte-sized deus-ex-machina
>quick, there's already been a plethora of bad movies about the net, not
>to mention the misconceptions they perpetuate (instant access to extremely
>sensitive records, huge (and quickly downloading) graphics, etc.).  No
>wonder everyone thinks the Internet is going to give 'em every bit o' info
>they need as fast as they want it whenever they want it.
>
>As for the country song, how's 'bout "I Lost My Baby to a 15-Year Old
>Sysop on the Net"?
>
>LInda
>

>--
>Linda Ueki Absher		absher at lclark.edu/lindaa at info.berkeley.edu
>Reference Librarian		(503) 768-7287       FAX: (503) 768-7282
>Lewis & Clark College 		Portland, OR 97219
>--
>"By doing just a little every day, I can gradually let the task completely
> overwhelm me. -- Asleigh Brilliant

|   Stephen S. Hooley         |
|  Romulan Tech Assistant     |
|    Henderson Library        |