Web vs CB radio

Bobbie McDonnell bmcdonnell at andover.edu
Tue Feb 25 05:42:17 EST 1997

Joe Schallan wrote:

The contrarian in me makes me ask, Is the web to the 90s
what CB radio was to the 70s?  As you may recall, CB was
useful and fun until so many people crowded onto it
that it became unusable.  Could it be that in twenty years
we'll still be loaning books and answering reference questions,
while the older among us will wistfully look at one another
from time to time and say "Remember the web?"

An interesting point and not one to be taken lightly. We are now moving
toward having the library catalog available to patrons on our Internet
homepage ( using WebCat by Sirsi) rather than what we envisioned only a few
years ago, which was to have the Internet as a choice on the library
server.  Is it shortsighted to put all our eggs in the Internet basket?

                         Bobbie

                Bobbie McDonnell
                Oliver Wendell Holmes Library
                Phillips Academy