"Proper" HTML (was Re: status o' the day)

Tim Tripp ttripp at inforamp.net
Mon Feb 10 19:08:50 EST 1997

Alex Fayle wrote:

>      I was wondering if "proper" HTML will go right out the window as
>      more and more people begin to use graphic HTML editors? I used to
>      do it all manually typing in the code, but now use Netscape
>      Gold's editor. I always cheque the code after I play with it in
>      Netscape to make sure the program hasn't done something
>      particularly illogical, but I doubt many others do, or care.

I had been manually coding all my pages for a year, and hadn't seen any
"WYSIWYG" editors that I could stand - that is until a friend really
urged me to try a beta release of Adobe Pagemill version 2.  Well, I've
not looked back.  I do all my coding in PageMill, and only look at the
actual code when Netscape doesn't like something I've done.

Now, granted, all my work is for our corporate intranet, so none of you
folks are going to be able to pick it apart, and everyone in our company
is using Netscape, so I don't have to worry about a variety of browsers.

All I care about is that the page displays properly.  How many of you,
when you recieve a WordPerfect document go in and check for extraneous
<Bold On><Bold Off> tags?  I guess I fall into Alex's latter category of
people who don't care.  My question is, Is there something I'm missing?
Should I care?  I've got far too much to do to spend time worrying about
"bad" coding that's not going to make a lick of difference.

Respecfully yours,

Tim

--
Tim Tripp, Library Supervisor