Internet policies (fwd)

Joan Latta Konecky joank at unllib.unl.edu
Thu Feb 6 16:51:57 EST 1997

Mary,

We haven't had the same problem in the public area, but we have had email
and web site development on our public stations. We've done several
things. First, developed a formal Computer Use Guideline; second, made it
available in full as a handout with all the rest of our handouts.  Third,
and most important, we have a "Computer Use Guidelines" sign posted on the
power pole above each cluster of computers. In addition, we have an
abbreviated version, in a skinny bookmark size, taped to the right hand
side of each monitor. They can't claim that they didn't see THAT!  :)

The wording for the full sign is:
			University Libraries
		      Computer Use Guidelines
	   The computers within the Libraries are
	  provided for accessing information in various
	       formats for scholarly purposes
		THE FOLLOWING ACTS ARE PROHIBITED:

	1. Game playing or other recreational activity
	2. E-mail, sending or receiving.
	3. Hacking, defined as unauthorized access to computing
	    resources or accounts.
	4. Violating state and federal laws, such as those
	    regarding obscenity and copyright.
	5. Theft, vandalization and or mutilation of computer
	    related materials.
	6. Use of computing resources for other than their
	    intended purpose

		Violations of the Computer Guidelines may
	    be reported to the UNL Campus Police and/or
	        the Student Judicial Affairs Office.

The wording of the skinny sign attached to the monitor:

		Computer Use
		Guidelines
	     ------------------
		Computers within
	      the Libraries are
		provided for
	     accessing information
		for scholarly
		 purposes.
	     -------------------
		PROHIBITED:

		* GAME PLAYING or
		  recreational
	          activity

		* EMAIL, sending
	     	   or receiving

		* Hacking

		* Violating state
	 	  and federal laws,
		  such as obscenity
		  and copyright laws.

		* Use of computing
		  resources for
		  other than their
		  intended purpose.

If you would like a copy of the formal guidelines or of the fully
formatted signs, please let me know,
						Joank

    Joan Latta Konecky
    Electronic Reference Services Coordinator
    University of Nebraska-Lincoln  Lincoln, NE  68588-0410
    joank at unllib.unl.edu    402-472-2554    FAX: 402-472-5131