netscape cache and netscape freeze

Miriam Bobkoff mbobkoff at ci.santa-fe.nm.us
Tue Dec 30 17:59:29 EST 1997

I have a PC running Netscape 3.01.  It froze in the middle of visiting a
site. Each time I rebooted thereafter, Netscape would freeze on the first
or second click.

Assuming the .exe file must be damaged, I moved in a fresh copy that I
happened to have handy (i.e., did not reinstall the whole program). It
froze on the first click again. So I rebooted yet again, and cleared the
cache. Some files remained uncleared, so I deleted those manually.

This seemed to cure the problem. Here is the question: can something in the
cache interfere with the running of the program, or is this a false
diagnosis?

If it is possible, would someone please explain what might have happened.
My picture of how things work does not include this possibility.

Miriam Bobkoff
Santa Fe Public Library
145 Washington Avenue
Santa Fe, NM 87505
phone (505) 984-6832      fax   (505) 984-6676
  mbobkoff at ci.santa-fe.nm.us