Lynx vs. GUI

James Cayz cayz at lib.de.us
Tue Dec 23 15:01:40 EST 1997

Michelle,

	The public libraries in the State of Delaware use Lynx exclusively
at the current time, for patron access to the Internet.  I attempt to keep
up with the latest version of Lynx, which is provided via a barcode
authentication schema from a centralized server, rather than individually
from each of the four ILSs in the state.  This is a little more difficult
when I have to modify the source code for each new release to keep local
"patches" in place (fixing the "To:" line in e-mail, etc.).

	I am working on a project to provide 3 GUI stations in each of the
33 public libraries, which will make access to our Ebscohost system more
appealing, but 1) GUI users will lose some functionality (no e-mail at
all), and 2) dial-in users will remain at Lynx, since none of the systems
want to administer PPP accounts locally....

	We demonstrate to vendors that forms, etc. can be done
_correctly_, so that even lynx can read the html, with our own home site.
We negotiate contract language that basically says that the contract is
null and void if they change their interface to be non-lynx usable.  And
we wield a big stick (a "statewide" license, which not only includes 33
libraries, but is also "available" to all 400+ schools at the same
per library fee that we pay... ).

	We have had vendors say it isn't worth it.  Even just changing IMG
tags to include ALT sub-tags was too much for some.

	We do have others that say "OK".  Those are the ones we use.

	So, yes, Lynx is NOT dead.  It is Fast.  It provides an ADA
compatible access to the Web, _and_, it is Free.  And nothing like
centralized access & control....

	James Cayz

[ James Cayz # cayz at lib.de.us # Del-AWARE homepage: http://www.lib.de.us   ]
[ Network Processing Administrator #  302-739-4748 x130 # Fax 302-739-6948 ]
[ Delaware Division of Libraries # 43 S. DuPont Hwy / Dover, DE 19901-7430 ]