HTML 4.0 Approved

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Fri Dec 19 16:14:33 EST 1997

One of my personality flaws is that I'm practical to a fault. So when I
look at HTML 4.0 I see a specification doomed to failure. 4.0 is not an
incremental enhancement from 3.2, as 3.2 was for 2.0, but rather a
complete rewrite from the ground up. For the mass of Web authors out
there, 4.0 represents a learning cliff. I strongly doubt that most will
choose to scale that cliff, particularly when something much better lurks
in the wings -- XML.

Until someone can convince me otherwise, I will stay safe and warm in the
arms of 3.2 until enough software out there supports XML. I doubt I will
ever implement 4.0. But as we know by now, you should ask me again in six
months. I may be singing an entirely different tune.
Roy Tennant