Privacy filters (again)

Mark Ellis mark.ellis at rpl.richmond.bc.ca
Fri Dec 19 12:35:58 EST 1997

About a year ago, in response to public and staff complaints about
pornography on public Internet stations, we evaluated 3M's PF400L privacy
filter as remedy to this problem.  We rejected them at that time because
they didn't seem effective enough to warrant the expense of buying them for
all public stations.

Since then, however, complaints--particularly from staff, have caused us to
revisit this decision.  We purchased PF400Ls for most of our stations and
found them to be somewhat effective. Some patrons, while attempting to
remove them, broke the suspension arms and we found ourselves replacing
them frequently.

So my unsolicted advice, if you're going to go this route, is to buy the
PF450L which has a wrap-around frame that is harder break and offers more
potential attachment points.

PF400L: (not recommended)
http://www.3m.com/market/omc/catalog/products/p00/p03/p77.html

PF450L: (recommended)

http://www.3m.com/market/omc/catalog/products/p00/p21/p99.html

3M also sells a reclosable fastener similar to Velcro, but heavier-duty
that would likely work well for fastening the screens to the monitors.

BTW, I'm not paid by 3M, but would like to be soon. ;-)

Oh, yeah, their mouse pads are great too--but a little pricey....

[...as I'm dragged off the stage with a shepherd's crook]

Mark Ellis
Network Support Analyst                 Phone: (604) 231-6410
Richmond Public Library                 Email: mark.ellis at rpl.richmond.bc.ca
Richmond, British Columbia