Request for help - Setting up an active

Vladislav S. Davidzon davidzon at metronet.lib.mi.us
Wed Dec 3 15:20:27 EST 1997

Just a comment, but I would also recommend looking into FreeBSD... I
believe you should be able to download it from ftp.freebsd.org (correct me
if I am wrong), but I've had real good results with it in the past...

Linux is good for a workstation, but I would recommend FreeBSD for a
server.

Also I did not see any mentions of the Debian distribution of Linux, as
its also out there.

I would recommend running FreeBSD with the latest version of Apache.  As
far as NT, I am not quite sure how stable and reliable their web servers
are, I have not had that much experience in running one.  For an intranet
it may be the best way to go with NT, but for an internet site I would
recommend Unix.

You can run unix on a 486, which if given the correct setup could yield
far better performance than what you'd get from NT.

-- Vladislav