Organizational chart

Sheryl Dwinell dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu
Tue Aug 26 18:30:27 EDT 1997

At 02:56 PM 8/26/97 -0700, you wrote:
>--On Tue, Aug 26, 1997 12:12 PM -0700 "Chuck Waibel"
><newworld at bagley.polaristel.net> wrote:
>> 	This isn't as hard as it first appears. An effective way of doing it
>would
>> be to simply (!?) draw the chart as you'd like it, then export as a .gif
>or
>> .jpg.
>
>The only problem with images is that they don't scale well to different
>sized browser windows.  With pure HTML, it will scale, be readable by text
>browsers/audio readers, and probably be a smaller file size.  I don't have
>any answers to the original poster's questions, but would be interested if
>anyone else has other options.

I'm trying to envision how one would construct a chart using text & ascii
characters (dashes (-) & pipe (|) come to mind).  I suppose that you could
cobble together some sort of chart doing this using a table or the <pre>
tag, but it seems like a really time consuming task. I'd think that an
image would be much easier to create.  If your image only has two colors
(black & white) it could be saved as a really small 3-bit depth .gif file.
Depending upon the width, folks may have to scroll right, but I don't think
that is such a big deal. You could design the image with a maximum width of
600 pixels and then it would fit the majority of screens.  You do have the
problem of text-only browsers & audio readers, but you may have to
compromise somewhere.

If anyone has a non-image solution, I'd be interested as well.

Sheryl Dwinell * Cataloger/DBM Librarian/Webmaster
Memorial Library * Marquette University
P.O. Box 3141 * Milwaukee, WI 53201-3141
414-288-3406 * dwinells at vms.csd.mu.edu