Netscape 4 and Telnet using a telnet.bat - in NT

Jennifer_Reiswig at UCSDLIBRARY.ucsd.edu Jennifer_Reiswig at UCSDLIBRARY.ucsd.edu
Wed Aug 13 19:58:00 EDT 1997

     Wow - Jenny wins the Convoluted Subject Line of the Week award...

     The topic of using a batch file to correctly pass a telnet URL from
     Netscape 4 to a telnet program (other than its own dorky dll) has been
     discussed on this list previously.  It works very well (thank you,
     Call-Me-Bill), although we agree Netscape should have thought of this.
     Grr.

     However....

     We're using *WindowsNT* on our about-to-be-born public Internet
     workstations, and we can't figure out how to get the batch file's
     "DOS" window to close on exit, because NT doesn't offer the same range
     of "properties" as Win95.  The best we can do so far is to make the
     batch file's "DOS" window really, really small.  The user is still
     going to have to know to close it at some point, or we'll have all
     these little open windows everywhere.

     Are any of you aware of a way in NT to force a DOS program to close
     when it's finished running?  (Do any of you have strong opinions about
     a patron's constitutional right to close their own DOS windows?!)

     Jenny Reiswig
     Biomedical Library
     University of California, San Diego
     jreiswig at ucsd.edu