Maintenance is so booooooooooring

Janet Kaul jmk at synopsys.com
Wed Aug 13 18:41:07 EDT 1997

> --- End Included Message ---
>
> This is exactly the reason why our company's Quality Assurance Manager wants each web page to be treated as a document with a file number instead of a name, a move which we are resisting because of the bureaucracy involved in assigning numbers and maintaining a file list, plus the effect it could have on stifling contributors' enthusiasm and creativity.
>
> Regards,
> Dianna Roberts

Sounds like what your QA manager wants is a document control system,
which will do this for you. We are currently instituting one at our
company (Documentum), and the benefits are great if you tie it in with
your search engine for your intranet (includes getting fielded search,
better maintenance on documents, the ability to provide review copies
or loops before stuff goes on the intranet, etc.), but it's a big
investment. I agree the intranet has to be highly valued and thriving
before you install something like that, but our users are demanding the
benefits you can only get through such a system, and we want the
quality control.

I would never try to maintain such a system by hand, however. That's
just adding more maintenance work to an already heavy load.