Maintenance is so booooooooooring

Ulrich Babiak ubabiak at mail.dom.de
Wed Aug 13 17:11:16 EDT 1997

You are sooooooo right ...

I would opt that any web page of an institution should
reflect a certain area of this institution's  activities
and therefore the task to keep pages current almost
naturally falls onto the person who has to do with the
subject of the page in "real life" too. That doesn't mean
this person has to write code, but he/she has to notify
the webmaster of changes needed. Like: human resources
take care of the staff listing on the web, the
PR person takes care of new announcements (and their deletion),
the subject librarians maintain their respective subject
pages and the webmaster acts as their dutyful aid
(in webmaster's reality, you have to assign the pages to
people who volunteer and keep an eye on them whether they really care
for "their" pages ... and never forget to always talk about
the importance of a well-maintained site during lunch break)

Besides, one of my most-repeated sentences when teaching
webdesign is "Don't start services you can not maintain".
As opposed to writing, good web design has to keep the
future in mind. And if you think about future updates while
creating pages, you can avoid many pitfalls ...

Bye,
Ulrich

 Ulrich Babiak
 Dipl.-Netzer ;-)