Maintenance is so booooooooooring

Andrea Duda duda at library.ucsb.edu
Wed Aug 13 16:25:40 EDT 1997

When we were first setting up our web site there was a lot of interest and
enthusiasm.  Creating new pages is fun!  But now -- while we're still
putting up new pages -- there's a need for maintenance on the old ones.
Deleting dead links, trying to figure out where sites have moved to,
adding the occasional new site to a list, and making sure guide and policy
pages are up to date is work, not fun.

Some librarians consider their subject pages to be an important part of
the collection development responsibilities.  Others would like to abandon
the whole thing.

What are other libraries doing about web maintenance?  Is the person who
created the page originally responsible for maintaining it, or does that
responsibility fall on someone else?  Do you do anything about abandoned
pages?

                                Andrea L. Duda
                    Networked Information Access Coordinator
           Davidson Library, University of California, Santa Barbara
                         E-mail: duda at library.ucsb.edu
                     InfoSurf: http://www.library.ucsb.edu