Reference service and computers--further reflections

Steve Hooley hooleyss at gsaix2.cc.GaSoU.EDU
Mon Aug 11 16:19:31 EDT 1997

        Thought I was looking at an in-house message for a second. Our
network administrator is going private-sector, too, and leaving us in a real
pickle as we scramble to get on top of all his responsibilities. Good
cybergeeks are hard to find (by good I mean non-caustic and user-friendly)
and we'll miss him, but it goes back to the 'Reference' thing we've been
discussing: he wasn't a librarian by profession and his actual profession
came knocking on his door, saying 'you're getting behind in your training;
move up!' Actual Librarians with this kind of skill are at the top of the
totem pole in this profession, with both the library skills and the tech
knowledge to draw on.
        My best advice for all is to be unashamed about not knowing the
answers. We're not expected to KNOW the boiling point of uranium, just where
to look up the information on boiling points. When technical stuff is your
problem, look up a technical person to fix it. Or do what I do: find a small
child and ask him or her, since they all seem to be Unix hackers by the
third grade today.......

|   Stephen S. Hooley         |  Statesboro Ga
|  Romulan Tech Assistant     |  Home of the
|    Henderson Library        |  Statesboro
|"It's Only a Job Description"|  Blues