Reference service and computers--further reflections

Sally Jaeger sjaeger at genesee.freenet.org
Mon Aug 11 14:19:14 EDT 1997

Just a few thoughts from a beleaguered reference librarian in a large
urban library.  We have 20 public access computers, excluding our dynix
terminals--few of the same make, model and vintage.  Ditto the five copiers
and five reader printers, not to mention the two fiche readers and the
typewriter.  Add into the mix that we rotate desks twice a day and you
have a technicalogical nightmare.  There are days when you do little but
trouble shoot machines or give five minute "how-to" courses.

We do what we can to keep everything running but I wonder about the level
of reference service when I'm spending so much of my time re-booting
computers, reinstalling printers, clearing copier jams and
threading reader printers.  We do have technical support staff who handle
major problems, but reference staff does "sweat " the small stuff.

Sally Jaeger                             sjaeger at genesee.freenet.org
Flint Public Library
1026 E. Kearsley Street
Flint, Michigan 48502