Browser use statistics

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Aug 5 08:08:06 EDT 1997

I know of two library-related servers have browser statistics:  see
http://www.ohiolink.edu/cgi-bin/browsers.pl and
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/browsercount.pl  I find it interesting
that the Berkeley SunSITE consistently shows a more diverse browser
population (and one closer to industry-wide estimates) than our site, which
is Netscape-heavy.

BTW, usability under Lynx is more a function of good HTML than of following
any browser-specific hacks.

Thomas Dowling
Ohio Library and Information Network
tdowling at ohiolink.edu

> From: Heidi Cramer <hlcspy at scils.rutgers.edu>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: Browser use statistics
> Date: Monday, August 04, 1997 8:41 PM
>

> I am looking for statistics on use of Web browsers from the popularity
> of various versions of Netscape and Internet Explorer to lynx.  Today
> I was chided for considering how a Web page would look in lynx and I was
told t"only 5% of Internet users use lynx and the number is dwindling"