MSNBC Column on David Burt

CMUNSON CMUNSON at aaas.org
Thu Aug 21 14:06:38 EDT 1997

____________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: Re: MSNBC Column on David Burt
Author:  filteringfacts <David_Burt at filteringfacts.org> at Internet
Date:    8/21/97 9:19 AM

David Burt Responds:

Just a minute, Chuck!  I remember you "self promoting" the Chicago Tribune
colunm about *YOU* a few months ago on this very list.

David Burt, Filtering Facts

     Uhh, I think I mentioned that I was disturbed that a reporter quoted
     me without my permission. My personal policy to to avoid getting my
     name in newspapers. I let my guard down with Mr. Zorn. I've since been
     very careful when I write cranky letters to newspapers.

     Anyway, you cite these newspaper articles as evidence that the you are
     advancing in your battle against ALA's policy on filtering. While it
     might be nice for your cause to get mentioned, it seldom helps you
     gain new members to your cause. I've been a grass roots political
     activist for over 10 years and I've come to really understand the
     limitations of relying on media soundbites to advance your cause.

     You are to be congratulated for getting mentioned, since your
     viewpoint should certainly be heard. Most of us just disagree with it.

     Chuck0