MSNBC Column on David Burt

Wilfred Drew drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Thu Aug 21 13:27:34 EDT 1997

James Lynch wrote:

> Yes, I agree that Mr. Burt's pointing out this article shows a
> distressing lack of modesty.
>
> James P. Lynch
> Public Service/Electronic Resources Librarian
> Baltimore City Community College
> jlynch at bccc.state.md.us

While I disagree strongly with David Burt's viewpoint, hw did the right
thing by announcing the article.  Modesty has nothing to do with it.
When my book came out a year and a half ago I sent out announcements
about it to the lists I participate in.  Yes, that is self-promotion but
there is nothing wrong with that. I don't care if there is a grass roots
movement behind the Filtering Facts organization or not.  We must all be
kept informed on this issue and the MSNBC column was a very well written
one.  Lets stop whining about so-called "self-promotion".  After all,
listservs and webpages are the biggest vanity presses ever.

--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill"); Associate Librarian (Systems, Reference)
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902
E-mail: DREWWE at MORRISVILLE.EDU powwow:drewwe at wedrew.lib.morrisville.edu
Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115
Homepage: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/
Not Just Cows: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/njc/
LibraryLinks: http://www.morrisville.edu/pages/library/
SUNYLA'97: http://www.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/sunyla/sunyla97.htm