Netscape Ghosts

Chuck Bearden cbearden at sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us
Thu Aug 21 06:32:51 EDT 1997

> Date:          Thu, 21 Aug 1997 06:54:52 -0700
> From:          Richard John Violette <rviolett at socialaw.com>

> Dear Web4Libs,
>
> I am having a strange problem with Netscape on my computer; I hope you
> can help me out.
>
> I am running Netscape Gold 3.01, but this problem also occurred using
> Netscape Navigator 3.0.  That is, when I go from one web page to
> another, parts of the text of the old page are not clearing from the
> browser and are being incorporated into the new page; or the new page
> loaded will contain garbage characters after the first few lines; or I
> get a page with a background and no other text or graphics at all.  On
> some occasions, the "ghosts" of past pages in the session will show up
> unexpectedly several pages later.  Reloading sometimes, but not always,
> clears the problem.
>
> Has anyone encountered this problem before, or have any solutions or
> guesses on what the problem may be?

One possibility is that the file allocation table for the cache has
become corrupted and has mislabelled cached files, so that your
browser thinks it can save time and bandwidth by using these
incorrect portions of other pages instead of retrieving the real
thing over the network.

You might try clearing the cache altogether, or deleting all files
(including the fat.db) from the cache directory by hand.  You might
also run Scandisk (or its Mac equivalent) to see if there are
logical problems on your hard drive.

Hope you get this cleared up.

Chuck

Chuck Bearden			email: cbearden at hpl.lib.tx.us
Network Services Librarian
Automation Department		voice: 713/247-2264
Houston Public Library		fax:   713/247-1182
500 McKinney Ave.
Houston, TX  77002		-=> NOT SPEAKING FOR HPL <=-