Filter Discussion

Gilbert, Richard A RAGilbert at ems.jsc.nasa.gov
Tue Apr 29 14:48:53 EDT 1997

Does this have to be an all or nothing discussion?  In a library with
several Internet Access computers, it would certainly be possible to
install filtering programs/ blocking programs on some computers and
leave unrestricted access on others.  This compromise, while it might
chafe many on either side of the debate, does provide the public (the
customer) with a choice.  It is evident that at least some of the public
want to be able to search the Internet using a filter program.

As much as we embrace the concept of free speech, librarians do have to
realize that all freedoms are tempered by society's acceptance.  If the
profession refuses to compromise, I fear we will find a solution forced
down our throats by someone else.