Links to .com sites/policies

comrel at mail.orion.org comrel at mail.orion.org
Tue Apr 29 11:26:04 EDT 1997

Roy Tennant wrote:
> We are looking for guidance on how to handle links to .com sites within
> the University homepage.   The process here at Brown is decentralized
> with "information providers" for the the various academic/administrative
> depts.
> There is some concern that if a unit on campus provides a link to a
> particular.com site, it indicates a recommendation/approval by the
> University.  Would a general disclaimer that we do not review or endorse
> all links be sufficient?  We would appreciate input on how other sites
> are handling this or even consider it an issue.    Thanks.

Our public library has a link to a "disclaimer" page
(http://www.orion.org/library/sgcl/referenc/disclaim.htm) on each page
of our
web document that contains outside links, whether those links are .com
sites,
.org sites or .edu sites.

Please feel free to use the language if you like.

Community Relations Department
Springfield-Greene County Library