Filters/Cybersitter and IRS/AltaVista

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Sat Apr 26 11:40:26 EDT 1997

> From: Maxine Feinberg <maxif at li.net>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
> Subject: Re: Filters/Cybersitter and IRS/AltaVista
> Date: Friday, April 25, 1997 9:32 PM
>
> On April 25, 1997, Ronnie Morgan wrote:
>
> >For me, the issue was never about the information that is available on
> >the net.  The issue is the pornography.  Porn is not information...
>
> Which brings us back to the previous discussion regarding
> searches that produce unwitting results.
>
> One of the issues we need to address, and, I believe, we have been
> skirting, because it's thorny, is the insidious manipulation of search
> engines by pornographers.  Instead of simply focusing on how to
> parse search requests correctly, or theoretically musing about freedom
> of information, we should be considering the very real prospect of
> delivery of mis- or disinformation.  I agree that porn is not
> information.

It isn't just pornographers who misrepresent themselves to search engines.
I've been privy to a conflict between two site in which: Site A creates a
content-rich page; Site B steals it, mounts it on their server, and submits
it to Alta Vista; Alta Vista indexes it, puts it above Site A's copy
(because it's newer); and then Site B removes it and puts their own version
at the URL Alta Vista points to.  All this to promote the local zoo.

Ain't it just typical that with the [U.S.] government continuing to push
for FCC-like control over content providers, it never seems to suggest it
should take FCC-like responsibility for punishing fraudulent advertising on
the net?

                    "I do have a cause, though: pornography.
                    I'm for it!"
                            --Tom Lehrer

Thomas Dowling
Ohio Library and Information Network