Options with dialup com vender? -Reply

Howard HH Hume HUMEH at NDU.EDU
Fri Apr 25 15:17:32 EDT 1997

Ellen:

I had a similar problem with the startup homepage with an ISP here in the
Washington, DC, area.  I received, from a third party, a copy of a file
called netscape.lck, about 97 bytes, which unlocked some or all of the
restrictions the vendor had created through the use of the Netscape
Admin Kit;  I was able to set my own homepage as the default.

I recommend you become familiar with the Netscape Unofficial FAQ at:
http://www.sousystems.com/faq/     This is quite a useful guide to many
of the problems that plague users.  I located it quite by accident digging
through the Netscape homepages.

Howard Hume
Collection Development Librarian
National Defense University

>>> Ellen Chamberlain <L700007 at VM.SC.EDU> 04/24/97 02:59pm >>>
Can anyone on the list give me some help?  Our library is brand
new at this Web-connection-via-a-commercial-vender stuff.  We
contracted with a vender last week to get Netscape access on
two computers in our public services area.  So far so good,
except for a few problems.  Is it possible to override a
commercial vender's home page in favor of our own library
home page?  My local computer support person is designated as
the go-between, and he tells me we can't do that; when we
connect, the vender's home page will come up and that is that!
Also, we can't customize colors, but must accept the vender's.
Finally, the machines automatically disconnect after 5 minutes
of unuse; we have paid for 24 hour connectivity.  My computer
guy says we just have to keep logging on, but in the afternoon
and early evening, phone lines get busy.  Anything I can do
besides learning to live with situation?  Please respond to me
personally, and I will share with interested individuals
if they will email me.  I've got so much to learn.  Thanks in
advance!

                  _____
                /     /)    Ellen Chamberlain, Head Librarian
               /____ //)  University of South Carolina Beaufort
              )_____)//)          email: ellenc at sc.edu
              )_____)//            Library Home Page:
              )_____)/    http://vm.sc.edu/~beaulib/libpage.html