Status Msg #4 on Filters: Selection Phase

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Wed Apr 23 22:22:35 EDT 1997

We're moving ahead on The Internet Filter Assessment Project.  I have
uploaded several web pages and I'm ready for folks to identify which
filters they would like to review.  Having said that, my web pages are
rougher than I wanted them to be, with some gaps and errors, but I felt it
was essential to keep momentum on this project.

The web pages, including the list of known filters, are at:

http://www.bluehighways.com/tifap.htm

As the webpages state, I'd like volunteers to look at the filters and
select their top three choices for filters they'd like to evaluate.  I'll
probably assign a primary and alternate filter.  Keep in mind that you need
to select a tool compatible with your platform, be it Mac, Windows 3.1,
Windows 95, etc.  Not all tools are available in all flavors.  Nearly all
filters offer free trials, and I believe most, if not all of the remainder
will authorize free trials on request.  Email me at my home address:
kgs at bluehighways.com

Finally,I have heard people say that evaluating Internet filters is
equivalent to approving of their use.  I firmly believe that nothing
clarifies a situation like accurate information and first-hand experience.
Regardless of our assumptions, philosophical perspectives or prior
information, and no matter where we come from on this issue, we cannot
speak as experts to the topic of Internet filters until we have experienced
them.  Becoming wise on this topic is well within our tradition as
librarians and information professionals.

Thanks again to Jerry Kuntz for his pioneer work in this area.

Karen G. Schneider * kgs at bluehighways.com * schneider.karen at epamail.epa.gov
Author, The Internet Access Cookbook (e-mail Neal-Schuman at icm.com)
Director, US EPA Region 2 Library | Contractor, Garcia Consulting
Cybrarian * Columnist, American Libraries
Visit our library at http://www.epa.gov/Region2/library/
These opinions strictly mine!