netscape 3.0 problem -Reply

Frank Cervone fcervone at wppost.depaul.edu
Wed Apr 23 18:38:45 EDT 1997

If you notice, your URL http://macnet.org/~herrick actually resolves to
http://www.macatawa.org/~herrick/   This and the fact that direct IP
addresses work indicates that the DNS server your machines are using
is not correctly resolving names.
Also, your page begins with several blank lines and this can give some
browsers problems such as not loading the page until you hit the stop
button.

Frank Cervone
Assistant Director for Systems
DePaul University Libraries
2350 North Kenmore Avenue
Chicago, IL 60614
773.325.7000 ext. 1114
773.325.7869 (fax)

>>> HOL  Lin Light <holight at lakeland.lib.mi.us> 04/23/97 02:53pm >>>
I'm running NNPE 3.0 on several workstations.  They all are operating off
a Novell 3.12 network with a link to a Bay router with with a data link  to
our main library cooperative system.  The Cooperative HQ is our link  to
the internet and it is also our library automation system center.   These
workstation are running WFWG and previously ran NNPE 2.01, slow but
we had a reliable link.  I loaded NNPE 3.0 on monday and tuesday and I
loaded in the preferences area our homepage address to load on firing
up  NNPE.  Well, now when I click on NNPE icon the Nescape page
comes up but  it won't load anything.  Now if I click on STOP and click on
HOME it will  load our homepage.  Here's something else. If I enter in the
IP address  for the host of our homepage, followed by /~herrick, the
page will load  right up from the beginning.  It won't if I have
http://Macnet.org/~herrick but it will with Http://206.26.113.2/~herrick.
I also find if I use the IP for the URL and not its name it will connect.
One more point, I have no trouble on my Win95 pc.
Any help/suggest/pray will be greatly appreciated.
Lin, in the drier part of the Midwest, Light.

Lin Light
Head of Technical and Automated Services
Herrick Public Library
300 South River Ave.
Holland, Michigan  49423   USA voice:   616-355-1400
FAX:     616-355-1426
E-mail:  llight at lakeland.lib.mi.us