Changing images on a page

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Apr 22 12:09:14 EDT 1997

>...This individual replaced the
>Marquette Steeple logo icon at the bottom of the page to a flashing icon
of
>skantily clad "babes" (leading, I presume, to a page of these pictures).
>discovered this only by chance since I don't normally scroll all the way
>down the page when I boot up this pc and launch Netscape

Cute trick, and easy to duplicate.

1.  Clear the disk cache.
2.  Load the page with the image you want to change.
3.  View the cache directory.  There will probably only
    be a couple of GIF (or JPG) files.  Look at each in
    turn until you find the one you want.

4.  Copy nekkid_babes.gif to the GIF you want to change.
5.  Reload the page.  Netscape finds a correctly
    named files in the cache and uses that one.
6.  Sit back and snicker until someone clears the
    cache or hits Shift-Reload.

With a little work, the same technique can be used to edit the HTML source
of any file in the cache.

Needless to say, this is only possible if the user can get a file listing
in the cache directory, view files there, and save files there.

Thomas Dowling