Internal Revenus Service/AltaVista

Laura B. Cohen LCOHEN at cnsvax.albany.edu
Tue Apr 22 08:42:33 EDT 1997

[**** Insert text here ****]

I see the problem here. But your search was not a good one, and indicative
of the common mistakes people make when they go to search engines and
don't take advantage of the available syntax.

First, quotes are certainly necessary to do any phrase searching in
Alta Vista.

Second, a much better search would be:

	+title:"Internal Revenue Service" +url:irs

The results are still not the best, but do easily get you to the IRS home
page through one of the resulting hits on the first screen.

 -- Laura Cohen
For an interesting example of how a web page designer can flummox a search
engine
try the search (I used quotes and capitals but it may not be necessary!)  :
"Internal Revenue Service"  in AltaVista.  The site at the very top of the list
isn't all that relevant to this search.  It's a hardcore xxx site that has made
creative use of Meta keywords and black text on a black background.